Monday, May 23, 2011

A Bit More About Myself

Let me give you a brief summary of my life to this point.
I was born in 1959 the oldest of five, a child of the 60's, a teenager of the 70's, and became a full fledged adult in the 80's.  I met and married a man and had a beautiful baby boy in 1983.  In 1994 I started my current occupation as a Police Communications Officer, but back then I was known as a Radio Operator.  In 2000 my marriage ended, thus starting a new chapter in my life.  I was on my own, scary, but I was up for it.  In 2001 my Son graduated from high school, went to college, and is now gainfully employed and a home owner, I'm so proud of him.  In 2003 I bought my first house, that I'm still living in today.  In 2010 I met a wonderful man that I believe is going to be around for a while.  Well there you have it that is my life in a nut shell so far.

My Craftiness
For as long as I can remember I have had a fascination with making things.  As a young child I would gather up the material scraps from a dress or a top that my Mom would be making and make my doll clothes.  First by just tying the scraps around the doll, but when I got a little older my Mom let me use a needle and thread. I would also take boxes and make houses for my dolls and other found objects for the furniture.
When I was in school I loved art and music(not a surprise, right). I could not wait to get my hands on some paper, paint, crayons, glue and scissors.  The first necklace I made was made with painted macaroni, painted because back in the mid 60's the colorful pasta of today was not available.
In 1968 I became a Brownie, I loved being a Girl Scout.  I was a Girl Scout until I was a Senior Scout at the age of fifteen.  Being a Girl Scout just opened up my artistic talents even more.
When I was twelve I spent the summer in PA with my Grandparents.  That was the summer I learned how to crochet and I did not learn a simple stitch like the Granny Square, Oh no not me!  I want to make an old fashion lady's under garment with a crocheted yoke.  The yoke had an oak leaf pattern in it using the double and triple crochet stitch.  The pattern also called for size 1 crochet thread and size 0 crochet hook.  I worked on it everyday, but sad to say I never finished it and now it is long lost.
When I was sixteen boys took over my interests and it was not until I was pregnant with my son that I started crafting again, and I have been doing some form of craft ever since.
My love for jewelry making started in 2005, I'm now straight on the time, because I looked back through my magazines and the first beading magazine was purchased in Jan. 2005 Simply Beads which is no longer in publication.  It was in that first magazine that I saw a necklace made with bright colorful glass beads and I knew I had to make it.  So I went about looking for those beads and found them online at Fire Mountain Gems.  I love this site I have always been able to fine just about everything I'm looking for at reasonable prices.  When my treasure arrived I was as excited as a child in a candy store.  I looked at, touched, and played with my new treasure, then I got the magazine out and sat down and put the necklace together.  It turned out great and I gave it to my Sister for her birthday.  That magazine and necklace set me on the path that has led me to where I'm at today on my adventure.  I'm always amazed and thrilled when someone purchases one of my pieces.  I hope that feeling never goes away.

1 comment:

  1. Hi mi names sal, and mi besties names marge, aka margie. ive noticed that use have the same name..... best wishes on your Jewellery career.
    Love Sally and Marge. x o x o

    ReplyDelete